Gameloft brought us in 2013 another fantastic now free-to-play game from the Asphalt series – Asphalt 8 Airborne. As per usual, these kinds of games allow you to unlock everything with a bit of grinding, although you can obtain the high-end sports cars by purchasing in-app tokens with real money. This does not result in a hard-core pay to win the game and you will surely enjoy the game nonetheless throughout its 180 races of every type in single player.
Asphalt 8 Airborne Launch Trailer
Asphalt 8 Airborne Gameplay
Offering both multiplayer and single player, Asphalt is a mix between the need for speed and burnout with an arcade touch. This focuses on smashing your opponents, breathtaking air stunts, belligerent driving, and epic drifting. Asphalt 8 airborne will surely bring out that adrenaline. As it will require your best reflexes when making split-second decisions to evade incoming obstacles. And cars or deciding whether to take off in the air via ramps, especially when using nitro.
The tilt-control system feels very smooth and intuitive. Whilst the risk-reward system promotes you to be as crazy as possible by placing the nitro re-fills in dangerous places. Or by giving you nitro for driving in the opposite lane. The only negative side might be the collision mechanics. Here sometimes you are forced to a halt if driving very close to the edge yet there was no apparent object blocking you.
Asphalt 8 Airborne Graphics
Graphics are strong with this one. Despite it being first published in 2013 it remains one of the most beautiful car games I have ever seen. True especially for iOS and Android. At first glance, it is stunning, colorful and the motion blur combines very well with this top-speed driven gameplay. This gives it a wonderful rush feeling.
Car models are polished and accurate offering models from Lamborghini’s to Audi’s to Mini’s. The scenery is inspired by real-world locations such as London, Barcelona, and Tokyo. The have very rich textures, soft shadows, and reflections.
- Beautiful and dynamic graphics which engages you and feels like an action movie
- Great replayability and fun since minute 0 with an incredible adrenaline rush feeling
- Great value. Single player offers 8 seasons with up to 180 races, including races of every type. From classic to elimination to infected, or and even drifting. In addition to this, the online multiplayer offers unlimited free play
- Collision mechanics sometimes force you to a halt if driving close to the edge of the map
- For certain players, this game might feel a bit too cartoonish and unrealistic due to its gameplay that defies the laws of physics. More mature gamers may want something more realistic than this
- Little in-depth personalization of your own character or cars, making it feel very superficial apt for the casual gamers, rather than the more hardcore ones